The Royal Aircraft Factory’s SE5A was one of the Allies finest fighting scouts of the First World War. It entered service in 1917 and at a time when rotary engines dominated it was fitted with the 150hp Hispano-Suiza water-cooled V8.
Not only did it prove to be an excellent fighting machine, it was also easy to build and maintain. It was used by all the Allied top “aces”.
Our 7/8th scale replica was built by Dennis Mitchell, and flew with a modern engine. It was donated to the Museum in 1995, and it was decided to cease flying and replace its engine with a scaled replica of the Hispano-Suiza. This was built without plans by the Museum’s Jeff Phillips.